- Set the machine handles to chest level. Going too high here will make your shoulders the primary drivers of the exercise.
- Set your shoulders to the correct position by squeezing your shoulder blades together against the bench.
- Set your midsection to the correct position by squeezing your glutes and driving your feel into the ground.
- Keeping your shoulders pinned back, and a slight bend in your elbows, press the machine towards the mid-line of your chest by squeezing your pecs HARD. This gives us ADDUCTION, which is crucial for chest development.
- Only travel out wide until your elbows are level with the line of your body. There is no advantage to be gained from letting our arms stretch ridiculously far back, we’ll simply increase the stress on the front deltoids, which isn’t the focus of this exercise.
- Avoid the commonly made mistake of letting your shoulders round and come off the bench, leaning forward as you bring the handles together. Shoulders should be pinned against the machine the entire time.